Friday, June 5, 2015

Three Beautiful Things 05/04/15: It's the Water, Subway Memories, Cold Chicken and Rain

1.  The longer I love out here in DMV, the more I realize it's like Olympia beer:  It's the water.  At first, I thought it was all about the freeways and the mind-boggling routes -- Rt. 193, Rt. 201, Rt. 50, Rt. 450 . . . . But, as I settle in, the beauty of where I live is so much about the water.  Today I began to explore the George Washington Memorial Parkway and began to learn about its access to marshes, the  18 mile Mt. Vernon trail near the Potomac, and other sources of beauty.  I sauntered around Fort Hunt Park for a while, marveling at the greenery, thinking it must thrive on its proximity to the Potomac and the damp climate. Today the damp climate was pleasant -- it was misty, a few sprinkles, with temperatures in the low 70s.  Just last week the climate would have been humid, with temperatures peaking in the low 90s.  I will return on Friday to the trailhead of the Mt. Vernon Trail and explore it more.

2. It's been a long time since I ate at Subway, but today a 6 inch tuna on white bread with mustard, dill pickles, olives with a side of Lay's potato chips and a cold Coke triggered fun memories of driving across the USA with the Deke and stopping at Subways along the way for quick food so we could get on our way -- and now, here we are, across the USA!

3. I drove up to Greenbelt to put the kitchen back together after the pest control people did their job and the Deke and I ate some cold chicken and Caesar salad and split a pretzel roll and before long I ventured out in the wind and the rain and drove back down to Groveton without encountering a single problem on the Beltway.  It's good when it works out that way.

No comments: