Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Three Beautiful Things 09/13/16: No Dentist Dread, Out of Milk, Leftovers Turn Into Soup BONUS: Another Picture

1.  My lip and gums and tongue started to tingle and grow numb. Soon the dentist (Dr. J, by the way) turned on the high whine of the drill. Crown prep was underway. I flashed back to when I was a kid having teeth worked on my Dr. Norse, Dr. Brandon, and Dr. Wombolt.  I hated it, especially the smell of the drill stirring up tooth dust. Today, I was grateful that something has changed over the last several years and I am relaxed in the dentist's chair, that I can enjoy knowing that having this crown replaced will help keep my mouth healthy. Yes, I did smell tooth dust today, minus feeling the dread of my youth.

2.  I have hope that the website and app "Out of Milk" will help me keep shopping lists and to do lists better organized. I've also begun a pantry list. What should I always try to have on hand in the kitchen? To help me compose this list, I listened to podcasts from Burnt Toast and Kitchen Counter.

3. I had leftover fresh basil and basmati rice from fixing last night's stir fry and I discovered I could put them to good use my making a recipe called Lemon, Basil, and Mushroom Soup -- an earthy soup with a lemony bite. Until today, I had never piled fresh basil, thyme, cream cheese and soup stock into a blender and poured it into a soup of chicken stock, cooked basmati rice, onion, mushroom, celery, garlic, and carrots.  If you'd like to peruse this recipe -- and maybe give it a try -- just click here.

BONUS When I posted pictures from Lake Michigan yesterday, I had meant to post this one:


No comments: