Saturday, September 24, 2016

Three Beautiful Things 09/23/16: Morning with the Deke, Family Dinner Out, Stable Lab Numbers

1.  The Deke and I staggered into the Sube and fought the blinding morning sun low in the east and made our way to Laurel where the Deke had a final follow up appointment after her surgery. The appointment went fine and since the Deke had the morning off, we enjoyed a rare morning cup of coffee out together and hustled over to Michael's where the Deke picked up some school supplies and I surveyed their inventory of picture frames.

2.  The PTA at the Deke's school held a fund raiser today at Joe's Crab Shack, so the Deke and I invited the Diaz family to join us and we had a good time together. I was especially impressed with Molly and Hiram's children. They behaved beautifully and Ana had a good time eating a variety of food from other people's orders -- some salmon, some crab cake Caesar salad, fries, as well as Cheerios and other bits Molly had packed for her.  (The food was chain restaurant quality -- average -- as expected -- and our server was terrific -- but, what would keep me from ever returning to Joe's Crab Shack is the loud recorded music playing in the house.  I could barely focus on my own thoughts, let alone enjoy conversation with the others at the table. Want to know why the music is so loud at a place like Joe's Crab Shack? Bon Appetit gives an answer, here.)

3.  I had blood work done on Tuesday, and I got an email notice just before I left for dinner that my results were available.  Somehow, I missed the fact that LabCorp had changed the initial URL I needed to type in order to log in to their online reporting service. I called their Help Desk, found out what to do, and PRESTO!, the report of blood work suddenly flashed on my computer screen. I rushed to the number that measures my kidney function and, to my great relief, there's been no change since April. Yes, the number still denotes that I am experiencing Stage IV kidney disease, but what my doctors and I always hope for is stability, and I am maintaining stability.  My other numbers also had little change.  I'll see my kidney doctor on Tuesday and discuss these numbers.  I'm anticipating a positive conversation.

No comments: