Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Three Beautiful Things 04/25/17: Stocking Up, Back to *Moosewood*, Sondheim and then Van Gogh

1. When I left to join the Deke in New York a week ago, the cupboard was pretty empty; and, with having been gone all day yesterday for my transplant evaluation in Baltimore, this morning I needed to get the kitchen back in order. I started to think about meals and I went to the store to stock up on groceries.

2. This afternoon, I went online and found the Brazilian Black Bean Soup recipe from Mollie Katzen's Moosewood Cookbook.  I started cooking out of this cookbook just over thirty years ago in the ten years or so before the Deke and I got together. This soup recipe was one I returned to time and time again. I've lost or I gave away my original copy of Moosewood which disappoints me primarily because I had annotated so many recipes, including the Brazilian Black Bean Soup. I made the soup today without my old notes and I overbaked some cornbread to accompany it. It was a comforting and nostalgic meal. The soup recipe is here and a variation of Mollie Katzen's recipe is here.

3. The deep pleasure of having seen Sunday in the Park with George endures and this evening I went to YouTube and found videos of different songs from the original 1984 Broadway production featuring Bernadette Peters and Mandy Patinkin, given in 1986 on PBS's American Playhouse. I listened to the song "Sunday" over and over, surrendering myself to the emotional grip it has on me. I listened to the Broadway/PBS version, here, the version performed at the 1984 Tonys award show, here, and a concert version from the 2010 BBC Proms, here.  (If you listen to the version from the 1984 Tonys, it starts out a little glitchy, but hang on -- the glitchiness goes away.)

I enjoy the art history podcast The Lonely Palette a lot, here. I've mentioned it before. I had hoped the show's host Tamar Avishai had done an episode on "A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of the Grand Jatte", but I think her podcasts are focused on pictures hanging in the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston and Seurat's painting hangs at the Art Institute in Chicago. BUT, it was no small consolation that Tamar Avishhai had produced a recent episode exploring Vincent Van Gogh's painting "Postman Joseph Roulin" and enjoyed listening to it, learning more about late 19th century French painting, and more about Van Gogh. You, too, can listen to this episode, right here.

No comments: