Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Three Beautiful Things 05/02/17: Talked to Mom, My Medical Day, Chanticleer at the Kennedy Center

1. I talked to Mom on the phone today.  She sounded overwhelmed by all that she's experienced of late -- the falling, the hospital visit, and the uncertainty of how the care for her will take shape. I know from the updates Christy and Carol wrote through the day that a Loving Care professional will visit Mom on Wednesday to evaluate what Mom needs and what services are available to her. When the Loving Care person visits Mom, both Christy and Carol will be there to help out with the sometimes delicate task of helping out when Mom's memory is fuzzy and helping to make sure the gravity of Mom's situation gets clearly and accurately communicated.

2. It was a smooth medical day for me. It started with a drive to Fulton for a quick TB skin test and then I barreled down to Silver Spring for a chest x-ray and a kidney ultrasound. In both places, I got in promptly, worked with efficient and agreeable medical pros, and, by early afternoon, I was back to our apartment home.

3. Until tonight, the Deke and I had never been to the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, perched on the banks of the Potomac River near Foggy Bottom. Tonight that changed. The Deke had purchased us tickets to see the male a capella group, Chanticleer. Their concert was stunning. They sang songs focused on the idea of love with texts that extended back as far as Rumi, took us through the Renaissance, brought the love of a mother for her son lost at war alive through singing poetry of Walt Whitman, explored a contemporary Finnish composer, and brought us into the 20th century with Gershwin, Noel Coward, and Freddy Mercury's "Somebody to Love".  I've never plunged so deeply into the beauty and variety of choral music. The Deke and I left the Eisenhower Theater deeply moved and fully enriched by this performance.

No comments: