Friday, May 12, 2017

Three Beautiful Things 05/11/17: Minding Ana and David, Baked Tilapia Curry, John Sayles Tickets

I don't have any news or any update about Mom today.

1. This morning Molly texted me a request to come over to Chez Diaz to sit with Ana and be there when David got off the school bus close to noon. Molly had an appointment and Hiram was teaching a lesson and they needed to fill a 45-60 minute gap when neither of them could be home. I arrived around 11:30 and Ana was deep into apple slices and goldfish crackers and Dora was on the television. Ana was calm and only got a little bit excited when David arrived, but settled right down and sat on the couch with me to read a couple of books. At school, David made clay models on a circle divided into quarters of the life cycle of a butterfly and explained to me how the butterfly went from egg to caterpillar to chrysalis to butterfly. He had made clay figures of each stage.

2. Back home, I relaxed with an acrostic puzzle. Eventually I finely chopped a shallot and cut thin slices of red pepper. I cooked them in canola oil until tender and then added a heaping teaspoon of green curry paste and heated it for a short while. I added a can of coconut milk, a tablespoon of lime juice, and a teaspoon each of brown sugar and fish sauce. Later, after I picked up the Deke from school and we relaxed for a while, I laid salt and peppered tilapia pieces in a Pyrex baking pan, poured the curry sauce over them, and baked the fish until done. Earlier, I had made jasmine rice. When I removed the fish from the oven, I let it rest for about five minutes or so and topped it with chopped cilantro leaves. The recipe is here.

I now think of tilapia as the tofu of fish. It's light, doesn't have a lot of taste of its own, but works really well as a centerpiece in curry dishes, Mediterranean ones, fishcakes, the Brazilian fish stew I have made, and with other strongly flavored recipes.  It's been fun to try out recipes using talapia.

3. Matewan, a coal labor war movie, came out in 1987 and to commemorate its 30th anniversary, the American Film Institute in Silver Spring is showing it on May 16th and featuring director John Sayles in a question and answer session. For many years, starting in 1980, John Sayles directed a string of movies I loved -- The Return of the Secaucus 7, Lianna, Baby It's You, Eight Men Out, Passion Fish, Lone Star, and others. This evening, I bought the Deke and me tickets to go to the screening of Matewan. I hope the question and answer session is fun -- even though I often don't enjoy such sessions -- BUT, I went to a screening of Atlantic City back in August, 2014 that was followed by a most enjoyable question and answer session featuring Burt Lancaster's daughter, Joanna. So, maybe the John Sayles one will be good, too.

No comments: