Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Three Beautiful Things 05/09/17: Mom's Busy Day, Tilapia Delay, Old Bay Bloody Mary

1.  When I talked to Mom today on the phone, she'd had quite a day. She had an MRI done in the morning and then, back at Kindred Care, she had physical therapy sessions. (I don't differentiate between occupational and physical -- and Mom didn't make it clear to me if she'd had two sessions or three.) She sounded stronger to me today than yesterday and not as hoarse. I could tell she was tired. Her speech was slow and I think she was trying to come up with things to tell me about. She told me, and Christy and Carol have also said the same, that she is gradually getting stronger, thanks to the rehab she is going through.

2. As I've said before, I'm dealing with my anxiety during the day by working in the kitchen. I found a recipe for tilapia that I wanted to prepare late this afternoon, but the Deke wanted to grade papers at Old Line over a couple of beers and when we returned home, we decided to eat the leftover curry from last night. I'll fix the tilapia on Wednesday.

3. At Old Line, Kristin, our bartender, told me a little bit about Natty Boh (National Bohemian) beer and the Boh-tini. It's a glass of Natty Boh rimmed with Old Bay Seasoning. Then Kristin told me that when she drinks a Bloody Mary, she always rims the glass with Old Bay Seasoning.  This piqued my curiosity, so when I finished my half pint of Union/Heavy Seas Collaboration Old Ale, I ordered a Bloody Mary the way Kristin likes it. It was really good. I stopped after drinking one.

Later, during an evening of playing America's Test Kitchen in our apartment home, I made The Deke some egg salad for a sandwich for her Wednesday lunch, and judiciously seasoned it with Old Bay Seasoning.

I think it works.

No comments: