Monday, May 22, 2017

Three Beautiful Things 05/21/17: The Deke and Molly, Bonus Army Documentary, Small Test Kitchen Project

1. After such a full day on Saturday, I stayed home today. For a while this morning, the Deke and I continued to try to figure out what is next for us. Mom was at the center of our conversation. We will pick up this conversation soon. For the Deke, today was a day with Molly and the grandchildren. David was sick and Molly is home alone and the Deke went over to give Molly some help and to enjoy some time with her.

2.  I finished yesterday's walking tour particularly interested in the mass of WWI soldiers, known as "The Bonus Army", who camped and demonstrated in Washington, D. C. in 1932 so that they might redeem bonds they'd been issued after the war for their service in the war. Because of the Great Depression, these veterans wanted to redeem these bonds early and not wait until the 1945 date the legislation creating this program had established for when the bonds could be cashed in. The Hoover administration called in the army to end the demonstrations and destroy the encampments. PBS made a short documentary about these men and our government, here, and I watched it today.

3. It didn't amount to much, but it was fun. After I watched several episodes of Chopped: After Hours, I thought about what might be easy to prepare and give me a chance to do some test kitchen cooking, so I finely chopped up a shallot, along with some celery, some ginger, and a couple or three baby carrots. I forgot the garlic. I added salt and pepper and oregano. I cooked this combination in hot oil until nearly tender and then poured black beans out of a can over it and let it all heat up together. In a separate pan, I heated up oil and fried small corn tortillas until they were crisp and broke them into pieces and put them over the beans and topped it with freshly grated parmesan cheese. It was tasty, easy, and I think I'll play with this idea some more and see if some kind of a dish or soup or casserole or something results.

No comments: