Saturday, May 6, 2017

Three Beautiful Things 05/05/17: Mom Update, Mahogany Chicken Thighs, Electric Ana

1. The best news regarding Mom's second day at Kindred Care is that, thanks to Christy's phone call and the quick work of Heather, Mom's cardiologist's nurse in Coeur d'Alene, the order for Mom's diuretic came right through and Mom is taking the diuretic again. Mom had been taken off the diuretic at the hospital when she was so dehydrated earlier in the week, but without it, her problems with edema accelerate and being back on the diuretic should help her flush excess fluid out of her system.  It's tricky. She needs to expel the fluid from the edema and stay hydrated, too.

2. Last weekend, the Deke bought me in issue of Cook's Illustrated entitled"All-Time Best Asian Recipes". Today I got to plunge into one of the recipes: Mahogany Chicken Thighs. I'd say it's a teriyaki-ish dish -- I mean, maybe it's straight up teriyaki -- I just don't have the expertise to make that call. What I do know is that I loved this recipe. I love buying big packs of chicken thighs at Costco and I had a bunch on hand.

The list of ingredients for this recipe intrigued me. The first thing I did was combine water, soy sauce, sherry, sugar, molasses, and distilled white vinegar in our 12 inch cast iron skillet, and stirred the solution to dissolve the sugar.  I then placed the chicken pieces in the skillet and tucked smashed pieces of garlic and ginger between the pieces and let it simmer for five minutes before putting the skillet in the oven for 30 minutes at 300 degrees, took the skillet out, turned the chicken pieces over, and returned it to the oven for another 25 minutes or so. I removed the skillet from the oven, plated the chicken, defatted the cooking liquid, and with the addition of water and cornstarch, made a sauce to go over the rice I served with the chicken. If you'd like to read the recipe for quantities and a few other details, just go here.

3. I packed up dinner, picked up the Deke, and we steamed headlong in the Sube to the Diazes for dinner together. I experienced the snow-capped summit of my life cooking food when BOTH Olivia and David LIKED the mahogany chicken thighs. We not only enjoyed dinner together, but we spent much of the evening being entertained by Ana's seemingly endless knowledge as she answered questions posed to her about animals and family members and sang her ever increasing repertoire of songs. She performed some of them as sing-alongs with the Deke. She is a live wire, full of energy, curiosity, and a love for having fun.

No comments: