Wednesday, July 3, 2019

Three Beautiful Things 07/02/19: Biking and Blood and a Bagel, The Local Deli, Remembering Burt Roberts

1.  This morning, I hopped on my bike for the first time since I had a wreck a few weeks ago and rode to The Bean. I locked up my bike there and walked down the Trail of the CdAs to a juncture where I turned left and walked up the hill, just west of the clinic. I have a nephrology appointment on July 11th, so I needed blood work done.  I don't quite understand why, but since the Kellogg lab became a LabCorp station, I can't have my monthly draws done there, but, as they say, it is what it is; but it also means I don't see Tracy very often any more. She is a very kind, personable, attentive, and conscientious phlebotomist and I enjoyed seeing her again this morning. She drew my blood and I walked back to The Bean, enjoyed a bagel with an Americano with steamed milk and then biked back home. 

2. I leapt into the Sube and, as planned, soared to Coeur d'Alene, gassed up at Costco, and picked up a few things at Pilgrim's in preparation for the rice salad I'm making for the birthday blowout at Christy and Everett's on July 3rd.

I popped over to Byrdman's and we piled into his pickup and rocketed out to The Local Deli in Hayden. I very much enjoyed the six inch Garwood Grinder on sourdough I ordered. It was hefty, featuring slices of ham, pastrami, and salami with provolone, and cheddar cheese. I also ordered a pint of MickDuff's IPA. As it turned out, this was my meal for the day.

3. Back in Kellogg, I assembled the rice salad I'm bringing to Wednesday's birthday blowout. My experience with these rice salads is that they always taste better the second day. I loaded this one up with all kinds of ingredients and dressed it with olive brine, olive oil, and rice vinegar, just the way I like it. The only thing I held off on was seasoning it with red pepper flakes. No heat.

Soon, I hoisted myself back on my bicycle and pedaled over to Carol and Paul's back yard.

Paul's father died in late April. Burt's adult life had been divided between living in Kellogg and Meridian. He was a pastor in both towns. He died in Meridian and that's where his memorial service occurred back in May. The family also wanted people in Kellogg to have a chance to pay tribute to Burt's life, so Carol and Paul hosted a concert, featuring Laurie (Paul's sister), Paul, Carol, Simon Miller, and Tim Arnhold. The evening was a weaving together of music and stories as Laurie, Paul, Simon, and Carol, along with several attendees, recounted memories of Burt and his impact on their lives and on many people in the Silver Valley. Burt's widow, Pat, warmed us all with her story about how she and Burt met and eventually joined their lives in matrimony (Burt had to propose three times!) and Pat reflected on the challenges that lie ahead for her in the face of losing her husband of over 60 years and learning who she is without him.




No comments: