Friday, July 5, 2019

Three Beautiful Things 07/04/19: Hiking Goal, Blog Writing, Charly Unfazed

1. I am not at all pleased with how easily I get winded and how my heart pounds when I hike uphill. I am hoping to improve this situation by hiking the Shoshone Medical Center Trail regularly. Today, I hiked the half mile or so up to the picnic table and scenic view spot on the trail and had to rest twice on the way -- there are two strategically placed benches. I'm hoping I'm being realistic when I say that I'd like to get to the point where I can hike to the picnic table without stopping. That's my first goal.

2. I've been sitting for about six months on two Sibling Assignments. I have good company. Carol has been six months tardy, too! So, today, instead of going over to the City Park and listening to music and joining in the 4th of July festivities, I stayed home and wrote all afternoon and into the evening. I completed an assignment I gave, examining my spiritual home. It's here. Then I completed an assignment Carol gave and tried, not very successfully, to write about what I'd like to do or what I'd like to accomplish in the next five years.  It's here.

3. I dreaded nightfall this evening and the fireworks getting underway. I dreaded Charly becoming confused, frightened; I dreaded her starting to tremble and taking over three hours to settle down. That's what happened a year ago. I wondered if Charly might do better if the television were on, so we retired to the Vizio room and I watched an old episode or two of Password Plus on the Buzzr channel and found an episode of College Bowl on YouTube. Fireworks boomed to the south of the house and to the north. Charly was not fazed. Around 10:00, Charly and I went to bed. She was just fine. It was as if the fireworks were not being put off at all. I was relieved for both of us, but especially for Charly. As much as she is struggling these days with simple mobility, I was happy that she didn't have to endure an added hardship by having the fireworks frighten her and make her shake.

No comments: