Monday, July 1, 2019

Three Beautiful Things 06/30/19: Day of Rest, LPGA Action, Young Stars in MLB

1. I read articles from time to time about exercise, especially for people with chronic kidney disease, and all the writers are in agreement that days of rest are beneficial, even necessary. I hiked on both Friday and Saturday and today my legs felt a little rubbery. I rested. I stayed home all day, having decided to stay away from Coeur d'Alene because of the Ironman competition going on.

2. On restful days like this, I enjoy watching golf on tv. I tuned in to the LPGA's Walmart NW Arkansas Championship. The leaderboard was bunched up at the top. Just like last week, when I tuned in, the leader was a player who was looking for her first tour win. Today it was Daniela Darquea and she played very well, but made a costly mistake when she drove her tee shot out of bounds on the 14th hole and bogeyed. The mighty Sung Hyun Park finished very strong and birdied the 18th and scored a one stroke win. Danielle Kang made a late charge on the back nine that was really fun to watch, but her efforts fell a stroke short.

3. I capped off my restful day by watching the Braves and Mets play the Sunday night baseball game on ESPN.  From time to time in major league baseball a surge of young talent emerges and right now baseball is experiencing one of those surges. I really enjoyed seeing three of these emerging starts this evening: Ron Acuna of the Braves and Jeff McNeil and Pete Alonso of the Mets. I didn't really care who won this game, but when the Mets' struggling closer Edwin Diaz pitched a stellar ninth inning, I was happy to see him perform well. Suffice it say, he's had a miserable month of June and I was nervous, on his behalf, when he took the mound and relieved when he pitched so well.

No comments: