Friday, July 12, 2019

Three Beautiful Things 07/11/19: Walking with Stu, Salad and Baseball, Back to the Bob Dylan Movie

1. While going through my morning routines, Stu messaged me an invitation to meet at the Cataldo Trailhead on the Trail of the CdAs. We did. I piled into his rig and we drove to the family ranch where his sister Carrie lives. We took a walk up a draw on a grown over road. The road gently rose through stands of various trees -- white pine, cedar, tamarack, cottonwood, among others -- with the murmur of Skeel Creek nearby and wild daisies smiling at us from various angles. We walked over 5000 steps, about two and half miles up and back, and I was pleasantly surprised when I returned home that the steady rise of the road had provided me with a pretty good workout.

It had been several years since I'd been to the ranch. Stu reminded me of where his grandpa's house once stood, where the barn had been, and where horses once roamed. I remembered sleep overs, meals, parties, visits, and other good times I had at the ranch, extending all the way back to when Stu and I were third graders in 1962-63.

2. Back home, I rested my rubbery legs, made a quick trip to Yoke's, and fixed myself a serving bowl of Romaine lettuce, Fuji apple, feta cheese, cucumber, and walnuts, dressed with another version of the olive brine vinaigrette I've been experimenting with. I watched the Rangers and the Astros play a nondescript game, but I enjoyed continuing to increase my knowledge of Major League Baseball in 2019. I'm slowly becoming familiar with today's players and with the recent developments in how the game is played. It's fascinating.

3. I went back to the beginning and rewatched about the first hour of Rolling Thunder Revue: A Bob Dylan Story. I noticed something this evening that I hadn't seen before. The movie's main title graphic gave the movie a slightly different name: Conjuring the Rolling Thunder Revue. A conjurer creates illusions. In fact, the movie opens with piece of Georges Milies film showing a magician performing a trick, using an editing method to make it appear that a magic trick that didn't happen actually did. Throughout the first half of this movie, Martin Scorsese and Bob Dylan combine conjured scenes and interviews and combine them with actual footage and interviews from the 1975 Rolling Thunder Revue tour in 1975 (much of this footage is from Dylan's work on his movie Renaldo and Clara). If you want to know what is conjured in this movie, a quick search of the World Wide Web will take you to any number of articles about this -- in other words, the movie is both a traditional documentary and a fictional one; The Last Waltz is a traditional documentary/concert movie; This is Spinal Tap is fictional. (Conjuring the) Rolling Thunder Revue is both. After I've finished watching the entire movie, I'm going write about why I think the movie was made this way and what this combination achieves in telling another chapter of the Bob Dylan story.

No comments: