Tuesday, July 9, 2019

Three Beautiful Things 07/08/19: Sleeping In, Bob Dylan Revisited, Home Run Derby

1. I slept in. I didn't get up until 7:30. I think paying so much attention to fixing dinner yesterday tuckered me out.

2. I still haven't finished watching the movie, Thunder Revue: A Bob Dylan Story, but today I listened to a bunch of Bob Dylan with special attention to recordings he made with The Band. I also returned to Empire Burlesque,  an album I bought about thirty-four years, but hadn't listened to for over thirty years.

3. Cas invited me up to the Inland Lounge to watch Major League Baseball's Home Run Derby. I joined Eddie Joe, Seth, Ginger, Tracy, Cas, and, for a short while, John Sevy and we watched an electrifying display of power hitting. The highlight of the evening was the semi-final match between Vlad Guerrero, Jr. and Joc Pederson. By the time Guerrero and Pederson finished their four minute session, a thirty second bonus session, and two three swing overtime sessions, Guerrero blasted 40 home runs to Pederson's 39, an epic showdown. Possibly, Guerrero spent himself winning this semi-final match. Pete Alonso defeated him in the finals, parking twenty-three shots to Guerrero's twenty-two. Remarkably, for the entire contest, Guerrero rocketed ninety-one balls over the fence, obliterating Giancarlo Stanton's previous record of sixty-one. It was a lot of fun, not only watching baseballs soar over the wall of Cleveland's Progressive Field (to me it will always be "The Jake" or Jacobs Field), but also talking baseball at the bar for about three hours.

No comments: