Saturday, July 27, 2019

Three Beautiful Things 07/26/19: This and That in CdA, Acoustic Music Jam, Great Night at the Lounge

1. I hopped into the Sube and soared to CdA today. I got a haircut, enjoyed a plate of Mahi-Mahi and chips at the Fisherman's Market, bought some new underwear at Kohl's, and bought about a half a dozen or so used cd's at Longear Music -- Bob Dylan, an album of dobro music, a bluegrass collection, and a variety of artists doing Jerry Garcia songs.

2. The Silver Lake Mall is close to dead. I walked in around 4:45 and went to the one food vendor and ordered a pop and hoped that I was correct that a Friday evening bluegrass jam would be getting underway soon. Sure enough, one by one, musicians with guitar cases began to file in and I wandered down to the open area outside J. C. Penney, right by Harry Ritchie's Jewlers, and audience chairs were in place and chairs were in a three sided rectangle, beginning to fill with players:  several played guitar, one man had a banjo, one played harmonica (harp), one man was the jam's upright bassist, and at least one woman played the ukulele.

How perfect. The mall is nearly dead. It's quiet. This open area near JC Penney is a great space to fill with songs. The sound system was all set up and eventually one singer/player or one group of players and singer came up the mike and I stayed for a couple of hours and listened to country, gospel, and a little folk music. The harmonica guy played "Danny Boy". One woman sang John Prine's "Paradise". Another quartet sang about how the world needs a lot more Jesus and a lot less rock 'n roll.  I heard "Blue Bayou", "A Workin' Man Can't Get Nowhere Today", and "Tennessee Waltz". Not a single young person played. Everyone was middle aged or older. One guy was a haunting yodeler. No matter whether the singers were polished, slightly off tune, strong-voiced, or faint, the jam's energy was generous. Many of the songs moved me to tears. I was very happy that checked out this jam. The songs continued in my head in the car and carried me back home to Kellogg.

3. I spent the rest of the evening at the Inland Lounge. I had a lot of fun yakkin' with different people: Rick Jacobs, Harley, Nathan, Becky, and, at one point, Glen G. who brought me greetings from Merle Buhl. Glen and I talked a bunch about what a great guy Merle was to work with and Glen told me what a cherished friend Merle is for him and has been over the last 55-60 years. As the place emptied out, Cas and Tracy played superb music on the house sound system: Leon Russell, The Tragically Hip, Bob Dylan, Little Feat, and more. Both Cas and Tracy told me about the night they saw Leon Russell in Spokane, not long before he died, and how elated they were by his performance. It was a great night full of great stories, conversation, and music.

No comments: