Monday, July 22, 2019

Three Beautiful Things 07/21/19: St. Luke's, Breakfast Nook, Summery Dinner with Christy and Everett

1. I jammed west on I-90 this morning and worshiped at St. Luke's Episcopal Church in Coeur d'Alene. For a variety of reasons, I hadn't been to St. Luke's for a while and, within myself, I felt right at home. The mood in the church, just like the weather outside, was sunny. Today's lesson from Amos (8: 1-12) was not so sunny, nor was about half of Psalm 52. Both readings bewailed deceit. Amos called out those who profit by trampling the poor and Psalm 52 bemoans the tyrant who boasts of wickedness and is a liar. The exploiters and deceitful rulers divide people, but in today's reading from Colossians 1:15-28, Paul explores the unifying power of Jesus Christ. Our priest today, Rev. Holladay Sanderson effectively found tied these three lessons together along with the gospel story of Mary and Martha. One of the features of the Season of Pentecost I enjoy is that the lessons from Scripture are all over the place and, rather than dealing with the extraordinary events of the other Church Seasons like Advent, Christmastide, Lent, and Eastertide, during Pentecost, the lessons explore all aspects of a life of faith.

2. After worshiping at St. Luke's, I enjoy taking a seat at the counter at the Breakfast Nook. It gives me a chance to let my worship experience sink in a little deeper (this process always begins when I sit and listen to the organist play the postlude). Today, the Breakfast Nook was a mob scene, but a couple of chairs were empty at the counter and I settled into one of my favorites: a hamburger steak with hash browns, eggs, toast, and coffee.

I had some grocery shopping to do for dinner tonight and I enjoy making the occasional trip to Fred Meyer and Pilgrim's, so I purchased some items, gassed up the Sube at Costco, and returned to Kellogg.

3. We invited Christy and Everett over for dinner. Originally, we were going to have Mediterranean plates (Debbie knows what this is better than I do), but we switched gears slightly and I put together a rice salad. Christy had leftover zucchini, cucumber, and feta salad from last night. I thought it would work perfectly in the salad I was going to make. I combined jasmine rice, Christy's salad, chopped tomatoes, more cucumber, Kalamata olives, cilantro, sweet pepper bits, cashews, olive oil, olive brine, rice vinegar, fresh squeezed lemon juice, and some dried basil all together and we served the salad with warmed pita bread triangles and hummus. Before dinner, we drank gin and tonics together and, as we ate, the air slowly cooled on the deck and we had a refreshing summery meal and some fun conversation. I'll just add that late in the meal, Debbie brought out the container of Bitchin' Sauce I purchased at Pilgrim's -- it's a nut based hummus-y condiment. Very tasty.

No comments: