Monday, November 29, 2010

Three Beautiful Things 11/28/10: Isaiah Moved Me, Rumi Reunion, Hot Chicken Soup

1.  Sometimes, in my role as a lector at St. Mary's Episcopal Church, the Old Testament lesson I've been asked to read moves me and I fight back tears and try not to let the congregation see my chin quiver.   Today, these words from Isaiah 2:1-5 had such an impact, especially this:  "they shall beat their swords into plowshares,
and their spears into pruning hooks; nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more."  It's a stirring vision of God's Kingdom, which as Bishop Thornton reminded us, "is at hand."

2.  Reading Rumi paper after Rumi paper meant going back to Rumi poem after Rumi poem to reread poems my students wrote on.  I hadn't read some of those poems for a while.  I enjoyed the Rumi reunion.

3.  This time, first I baked the chicken.  Then I took the meat off the bone and boiled the bones for a rich broth.  I made chicken soup, a big pot, and so Molly and Olivia and I will have soup for the rest of the week.

No comments: