Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Three Beautiful Things 07/26/2011: Online Photo Mags, Tiring Snug, Pork-Pea-Spinach-Rice-Egg Stir Fry

1.  I should have known, but am only now discovering some online photography magazines like FILE and JPG Magazine and others.  These magazines have tons of pictures to look at and learn from as well as prompts and other features to help people with picture taking projects.  I spent a lot of time looking at these and other online magazines today and so another world of the World Wide Web and another dimension of enjoying photographs opened up.

2.  When I walk Snug on the west side of Hendricks Park, I always want to be sure to get in at least thirty minutes of walking.  For the first twenty-five minutes, Snug (on his leash) darts into the ferns and ivy and muddy tire ruts and sniffs around the mossy logs by the road and, well, I happily let him jerk me around, enjoying his exuberance in the urban forest, knowing that I can rein him in quickly if a car comes or if a runner/biker comes by.  The last five minutes or so are always the best.  Snug gets tired.  He stops diving into the underbrush and calmly walks by my side.  As time goes by, I'll extend our walking time and take more advantage of Snug being worn out and ready for a smoother walk.

3.  I tried something a little different in the electric frying pan tonight and it worked.  I cubed four small pork loin steaks, sizzled the cubes in sesame oil.  When they were browned, I poured the white basmati rice I had cooked into the pan.  By the way, I added sesame oil to the water when I cooked the rice.  I fried the rice and pork together for a while, added some frozen peas, frozen spinach, and, eventually, two beaten eggs.  When the peas and spinach were no longer frozen and the eggs cooked, I scooped the meal into a bowl and topped it with sliced hard-boiled egg.  I didn't use any soy sauce.  I put it on the table, along with pepper sauce, and figured Adrienne, the Deke, and I could add flavor as we saw fit.  The meal was a success.

No comments: