Friday, July 29, 2011

Three Beautiful Things 07/28/2011: The Big Burn, Radio Decisions, Prime Time at Billy Mac's

1.  I can't believe it's been almost four years since I read Timothy Egan's absorbing book on police corruption in Spokane in the 1930s, Breaking Blue.  I can't let four years pass again before reading another Timothy Egan book, but I won't be reading the next one until I finish the astonishing book of his I'm reading now, The Big Burn.  All I can say is that we live in a constant state of always.  I read about the USA and the Silver Valley and western Montana in the early 1900s and what was happening a hundred years ago is happening now.  Events don't melt into the past and go away.  Now is not that much different than then.  We live in a condition of always. Reading history illuminates the always more than it directs us to learn from the past.  The past isn't gone.

2.  My new XM satellite receiver arrived today and I need to go to a shop and have it installed -- this raises questions as to whether I will use the one I bought or return it and have the shop install a new FM/XM/etc. player into the panel of my Honda with some cheap new speakers....I'm pondering this possibility....it all has to do with how much cash do I want to sink into this old car.....I'll run it as long as it runs....I'm hoping I can squeeze another couple of years out of it... I'm undecided about the radio....

3.  It was a fun night at Billy Mac's.  Mr. Billy Mac offered up a prime rib sandwich on sourdough with cheddar cheese mushrooms, onion, and peppers.  I gave it a try and was pleased.  Eileen (not my ex-wife Eileen) was there and I enjoyed talking with her for a few minutes.  At our table, lots of stories, laughs, commentaries, and good cheer.

No comments: