Sunday, July 31, 2011

Three Beautiful Things 07/30/2011: Whitaker Walk, Downtown Walk, Luna

1.  I wandered aimlessly around the Whitaker neighborhood, mostly Blair Blvd.,  for a few hours, Nikon around my neck, and took pictures.  I'd hoped to be able to position myself to take more pictures of people than I did, but my usual strategies for taking candid shots were hard to carry out because there weren't that many people out and about today.  So, I photographed some people, storefronts, flowers, the big tank towering over Ninkasi's brewery, the shell of an ancient vehicle outside of Sam Bond's garage, and some other things.  My photographs were fairly successful.  But I had a lot of fun and I wrapped up my Whitaker photo walk with a delicious bowl of green curry and basmati rice at Drum Rong Thai, a food cart/trailer festooned with bright colors and flowers on the concrete island at Blair Blvd. and Adams and Sixth.  I kind of liked this view from the picnic table, where I could see the Thai restaurant, Chao Pra Ya, I go to more often right across the street.  This picture also reminds me that the only reason I hadn't eaten at Drum Rong Thai before was when I thought of it, I wasn't carrying cash. . . .


2.  I rested after my Thai lunch and then struck out for downtown Eugene, in search of more pictures.  I knew I would see a lot of people at the Saturday Market and the Wayne Morse Plaza, but once I arrived, I realized that I wasn't in much of a mood to take pictures of dread locks or tie dye or drummers.  I began to realize that, on this day, I live in the wrong town for taking the kind of people pictures I wanted to take.  I did, however, try one kind of odd picture:  here's a man drumming on the plaza as seen through the spokes of a bicycle:


3.  I screwed up a bunch of the pictures and I'm going to go back to the porch of the building I lived in from Nov. 1984 through May 1987 and see if Luna is still there . . .  but here is one of the pictures of Luna, my favorite subject of the day:

No comments: