Friday, July 8, 2011

Three Beautiful Things 07/07/11: Chores, All's Well in Kellogg, The Shot Heard 'Round the World

1.  I keep getting this and that done around the house.  A few weeds here, a lawn mowed there, some fertilizer on the front lawn here, and more trash to get rid of there.  I keep plugging away.

2.  It's good to hear that all is well in Kellogg at Mom's house with the Deke and Molly and Adrienne and Jack and Olivia.  It's good to hear that Bill and Samantha are closing in on arriving in Kellogg.  It's good to hear that the Deke went to Cattails and met Yvonne. 

3.  Roger was at a corner at the Corn Palace in Mitchell, S.D. when, in 1951, Bobby Thompson slammed the "Shot Heard 'Round the World" off Ralph Branca.  He heard a broadcast live, probably the less famous Gordon McLendon national broadcast on the Liberty Broadcasting System. The more famous Russ Hodges call was on a local New York City broadcast.  McLendon, like Hodges, yelled, "The Giants win the pennant!" and so Roger's memory of hearing those immortal words is probably correct.  But they would not have been the cry heard 'round the world by Russ Hodges.    I'm wondering if I know anyone else who heard that moment live.  I don't remember anyone else telling me they did.  Knowing Roger did, hearing his story about it, and thinking back on the many, many times I've read about this moment in baseball and heard replays of it, gave me great pleasure at Billy Mac's. 

No comments: