Monday, September 2, 2013

POST #2400 Three Beautiful Things 09/01/13: Spirit Moves, Eat and Drink and Enjoy, Seizoen/Saison Splendor

1.  Things felt really good again at church this morning.  People enjoyed each other.  The passing of the peace was full of warm greetings and laughter.  Nothing out of the usual happened and that's what I love about being an Episcopalian.  Rarely does anything out of the usual happen and, within that structure, the spirit moves in uplifting ways. 

2.  I have been living a fairly, strictly disciplined summer when it comes to food in my efforts to lose some weight.  I've laid off cheese, bread, potatoes, and pasta.  It's working.  Today, however, I wondered out loud to the Deke if we might just forget it for a day and have one of those meals we both enjoy a lot out in the back yard.  The Deke happily agreed and so I bought a variety of cheeses, some smoked almonds, a loaf of Hideaway Bakery's Ciabatta bread, some salami, a bottle of pinot noir, a bottle of pinot gris, and a bottle of La Fin du Monde.  The evening shade and breeze were perfect and we had a great time, eating cheese and nuts and meat and bread and drinking ale and wine.   For me, it was almost like breaking a fast.  No quite.  But close. 

3.  Before I shopped for our outdoor evening meal, I stopped in at Sixteen Tons Taphouse for a half pint of splendid Logsdon Seizoen Bretta and at the Sixteen Tons Cafe for a 10 oz glass of Ovila Abbey Saison with Mandarin Oranges and Peppercorns.  The Ovila (a Sierra Nevada project) was new to me and the quiet fruit presence worked beautifully with the slight peppercorn bite.  Loved it.

No comments: