Saturday, September 28, 2013

Three Beautiful Things 09/27/13: Toe Progress, Troxstar is Human, Biscuits at St. Mary's, BONUS Big Black Jack is Back

1.  My big toe is not completely healed quite yet, but I walked most of the day without a limp and it is getting more and more flexible.  I think something like complete healing is in the not too distant future.

2.  To celebrate the slow improvement of my big toe, I joined the Senior Warden and his Missus for a fine bacon and eggs breakfast at Brails and discovered that even if he is the Troxstar and she is the Mme. Troxstar, that even when people are this high on the food chain, the challenge of raising kids who are teenagers can be overwhelming. 

3.  I trotted my injured big toe, via Subaru, over to St. Mary's Episcopal Church to join with Kathryn to make buttery biscuit dough so that biscuits can be baked and served to the many, many men and women in need who will arrive tomorrow morning for Saturday Breakfast at the church.  It's really fun preparing this dough and having such wonderful conversation with Kathryn, peppered with a lot of laughs.  Today, we baked a small batch of the biscuits and took them out into the church building and people who were lucky enough to be hanging out at St. Mary's got to eat a light, buttery biscuit with butter and jam.

BONUS: I'll add to what I've written here that the Deke and I went to the Sixteen Tons Cafe and enjoyed drinking some of Oakshire's Big Black Jack Imperial Chocolate Pumpkin Porter.  I drank mine slowly so it would warm up a bit. I enjoy it more when it's not too chilled.  I love this time of year when the fall seasonal ales emerge.  I also know that I have to be careful:  the alcohol content of these ales can be pretty strong.  I was careful this evening, happy to say. 

No comments: