Monday, September 30, 2013

Three Beautiful Things 09/29/13: Rain in Eugene, So Long Lane K, Football Américain et Haute Cuisine Chez Troxstar

1.   The rain has fallen hard and the wind has been formidable at times.  It reminds me of when I was a senior in high school and I went to see "Sometimes a Great Notion" at the Rena in Kellogg.   The movie took place in Oregon's Coast Range and the rain impressed me, actually attracted me, and I thought I'd like to live in rain like that one day.  Now I do.  It's been a while since we've had a rainstorm as strong has this weekend and it's not as romantic to me now as it was when I saw "Sometimes a Great Notion", but I took strange comfort today in experiencing the rain as I imagined it would be before I moved here in 1979. 

2.  USC's firing of their football coach, Lane Kiffin, inspired friends and I to get our snide on with each other on Facebook.  The Trojans finally decided it was time to send the youngster home with his Scooby Doo lunch pail and his PBJ sandwich half eaten.

3.  I was honored to be invited to Chez Troxstar this evening to watch the New England Patriots bury the Atlanta Falcons, to relax with some Lagunitas Czech Pilsner and a glass of Oakshire Oktoberfest, and join the Troxstar Family Unit in satisfying our raging appetites during this angry western Oregon rain and wind storm with a feast consisting of the finest cuisine Kentucky Fried Chicken has to offer:  Original Chicken (with 11 herbs and spices -- although I could only taste 9), Extra Crispy Chicken, fresh, juicy corn on the cob, feathery biscuits with buttery spread and honey sauce, KFC bbq baked beans, and KFC's own creamy cheddar macaroni and cheese.  I didn't get a chance to eat any of the beans or pasta, but the one hand breaded chicken breast, single biscuit, and two chunks of corn on the cob left me dazed, and so satisfied that I might have fulfilled a lifetime of craving for KFC in one single meal.

No comments: