Saturday, August 23, 2014

Three Beautiful Things 08/22/14: Single Mothers, The Duchesse, *Hopscotch*

1.  Having watched Boyhood had me thinking all morning about all the single mothers who were students of mine at LCC and about the single mothers who have been my friends and colleagues and those who are in my family and about all the stories the Deke and others have told me about being a single mother over the years.mm

2.  Before the Deke and I met at Bilbo Baggins for oysters, calamari, and, for me, a couple of refreshing Oktoberfest ales, I stopped in at the SourFest at Pizzeria Paradiso for 10 oz of absolute sour beer heaven:  Good Lord I love Duchesse De Bourgogne brewed by Brouwerij Verhaeghe in  Vichte, Belgium.  I had never drunk the Duchesse from the tap before and I think my sighs and exhalations of beer sipping pleasure made the couple sitting next to me at the beer curious.  When the woman asked me if the Duchesse was "a pretty sour sour", I had to tell I thought it was and I think I dissuaded her from trying it.

3.  Before I went to sleep tonight, I finished watching the movie I started watching last night:  Hopscotch (1980), a movie I originally saw in Milwaukie, OR or some other suburb in Clackamas County with Terry and Nancy Turner and my first wife.  I remember loving the movie that evening.  I remember having so much fun being out with Terry and Nancy and I loved seeing this movie again.  I had forgotten what a terrific actor Walter Matthau is, so easy, effortless, physically gifted, and so funny.  He paired wonderfully with Glenda Jackson (again...remember House Calls?) and their spy intelligence romance shenanigans were much sexier to me watching as a sixty year old than they had been when I watched at age twenty-seven!  
Verhaeghe Duchesse de Bourgogne
Verhaeghe Duchesse de Bourgogne
Verhaeghe Duchesse de Bourgogne
Verhaeghe Duchesse de Bourgogne

No comments: