Sunday, August 24, 2014

Three Beautiful Things 08/23/14: Farmers' Market, Rainy Wetlands, Latvian Crime

1.  I woke up at around 6:30 and hopped in the car, filled it with gas, stopped off at Starbuck's for a cup of coffee, parked the car in Old Town Alexandria and went to the Farmers' Market and bought peaches, apples, a rustic loaf of bread, white eggplant, summer squash, tomatoes, an oat bran raisin muffin and probably some other food.  It was really fun going so early with the air being so cool and the crowds so light.

2.  I drove over to Huntley Meadows so I could have a get away car in case it rained, which I wanted it to do -- even though I don't have the right clothes for rain -- but I wanted a chance to take pictures of the wetlands in the rain.  And it happened.  A warm and temperate downpour took place and I hid under different trees to stay sort of dry and snapped pictures, mostly, from under those trees.  Here are some of the pictures I snapped:





3.  The Deke and I held down the fort while Hiram and Molly went out to see Guardians of the Galaxy and, after Olivia and David settled in for the night, we watched our eighth episode of Wallander and I concluded that I don't want to mess with either the Latvian police or the mob in Latvia.  By the way, this episode had the feel of a Cold War spy story -- it was shot on location in Riga, and the sense the episode gave of this former Soviet state -- the electric buses, the chilling police headquarters, the elegant hotel, the markets, the way once beautiful buildings were run down and in disrepair -- was remarkable.

No comments: