Sunday, March 20, 2016

Three Beautiful Things 03/19/16: Shopping With a Smile, Surprisingly Awesome, Deep Into Legos

1.  My toe had bedeviled me Friday night on into Saturday morning. I was up at 4:30 a.m. icing it.  Then, later in the day, the swelling diminished and so did the pain. I needed to go shopping for me and the Deke, so I decided to go all out and drag myself to Costco and the Co-op. It went great.  I wasn't 100% free of pain, but I was walking without much of a limp and with a smile. Some shoppers caught my smile and smiled back, but I decided not to stop them and tell them my life story, that it wasn't the breaded tilapia samples bringing a smile across my face, but the improvement of my toe.

2. Back home, the Deke was watching the second season of Bosch in our luxurious apartment home's living room. I plan to watch it myself, so I didn't want to hear it, so I put on the headphones and listened to the radio program Snap Judgment and then listened to the beginning of the broadcast of WAMU's The Big Listen and found out about a podcast called Surprisingly Awesome. The two hosts take turns exploring topics the other will find boring and try to convince each other that the topic is actually, well, surprisingly awesome. One of their early shows focused on the free throw, and, being a lifetime fan of basketball, I had to listen to it and and it was surprisingly awesome.  Wanna see what you think? Take a half an hour and go here -- I especially enjoyed listening to Ted St. Martin.  He grew up on a dairy farm in Selah, WA and, at age 66, set the Guinness world record for dropping the most consecutive free throws in a row: 5.221 in over seven hours.  He's fascinating.  (The Dirk Nowitzki segment is pretty good, too.)

3. Molly brought David over for a sleepover and the Deke had bought him a new box of Legos and got right into the Lego zone, following the directions provided to build things, and occupied himself with joy and deep concentration. (If David ever breaks Ted St. Martin's free throw record, he will be able to credit his long hours of playing with Legos as the way he learned to give himself over to long hours of concentration on a task.)

No comments: