Sunday, June 4, 2023

Three Beautiful Things 06-03-2023: Preparing Family Dinner, Great Vibes at The Lounge, Doc Watson Makes Dinner a Special Pleasure

 1. I like to keep my family dinner preparations a secret. I enjoy surprising everyone come dinner time and, when others fix dinner, I enjoy (when possible), a surprise. It's not mandatory, but it's fun when it happens. So, I'll just say that I'm in charge of Sunday's main entree and it's a meal that tastes better if prepared a day in advance and I had fun this afternoon fixing the most important part of tomorrow's dinner. 

2. Debbie and I went up to The Lounge around 3:30 or so. Charlie was at the north end of the bar playing superb blues on the digital juke box through an app on his cell phone. Things were fairly quiet when we arrived and I settled into a Mountain Fresh Rainier beer and a shot of Pendleton's 1910 Rye Whiskey with a few ice cubes in my shot glass. We thanked Charlie for his exquisite music selections by buying him  whatever he was drinking. 

Debbie and I yakked with Bob. Before long, Bingo Norman strolled in, sat near Debbie and me, and I told him I knew who he was, knowing he didn't know me, and we had a fun conversation. Bingo was a high achieving Boy Scout in his youth, well-known in our local council, and we reminisced a bit about being Boy Scouts. Bingo is a 1970 Wallace High grad and I played American Legion baseball with some of his classmates and we talked about that and other stuff.

Ron Delcamp came in. Debbie talked with him about small projects we might like done at home. In addition, a young couple from out of town strolled in. They'd never been to The Lounge. They'd just visited the Snake Pit and were on their way to Wallace. I would have bought them both a "Welcome to The Lounge" drink, but the woman was drinking water, but I did treat the guy to a shot of 1910 Rye Whiskey.

It was a fun time at The Lounge: good drinks, great people, sublime music. 

But, in good time, we departed.

3. Back home I fixed a batch of jasmine rice, Debbie put together a delicious salad, and I cooked salmon burger patties. I put Doc Watson on Spotify, we enjoyed our meal and his heavenly guitar playing and singing. I retired to bed earlier than usual, and enjoyed a good night's sleep marked by a series of fun dreams, none of which made sense! 

No comments: