Thursday, June 15, 2023

Three Beautiful Things 06-14-2023: Travel on the Crowsnest Highway, Soup at Pho Li 1, Luna and Copper Were at Ease

1. Debbie and I helped spiff up the rental house, packed our things, piled into the Camry, and roared out of Nelson, B.C.  We decided to travel a different route on our return. Just outside Salmo, we turned east and climbed the mighty Kootenay Pass, on the Crowsnest Highway, and marveled at being at the summit of Kootenay Pass, British Columbia's highest all weather highway in Stagleap Provincial Park, surrounded by steep, wooded mountain sides and often with views of the mighty Kootenay River. 

We descended into the vicinity of Creston and turned south, crossing into the USA at the Porthill/Rykerts point of entry.

2. It was cool day, rainy at times, and both of us were in the mood for some Pho. Debbie suggested we go to a Vietnamese restaurant in Coeur d'Alene and responded that we might give Pho Li 1 a try. So we eased into the Riverstone complex and settled in at a table.

For us, it was perfect. 

We started with an order of spring rolls accompanied by peanut dipping sauce and were very happy with them.

Debbie enjoyed her bowl of Beef Pho and I was very happy with my bowl of Wonton Soup. My soup was built around pork, not beef, and the wontons themselves were filled with ground pork. Debbie's pho featured rice noodles. The noodles in my soup were delicious threads of egg noodles. We both made use of the plate of basil, bean sprouts, mild pepper, and the lime wedge that accompanied our bowls of soup, adding to their already full and satisfying flavor.

We both loved how our soups were spiced and having a generous sized bowl of hot soup on this rainy cool day was exactly what we both wanted.

3. We arrived home and everything was in good order. I was especially happy that Luna and Copper were relaxed and content. I was worn out after driving back to Kellogg. I soon joined Copper and Luna in the bedroom and took a nap. In the past, when I've been gone, Luna has velcroed herself to my chest desperately -- but not today. She did climb on me and purred, but soon she sprang off and lay near me, content. Copper was in a calm mood, too, and I made him especially happy when I unpacked my suitcase. He jumped right in it, as if it were a cardboard box, and settled in peacefully. 

Many thanks to Carol and Paul for coming by the house at least twice a day and feeding Cooper and Luna, giving Luna her medicine, and for keeping their litter pans scooped out. Copper and Luna showed every sign of having been at ease and well taken care of in my absence. 

No comments: