Friday, June 16, 2023

Three Beautiful Things 06-15-2023: Stroll to the Liquor Store, Buffalo Wings for Dinner, *Becoming Clarence Thomas*

1. I was originally going to ride my bicycle to the liquor store to replenish our cabinet, but, it turns out, my bicycle needs a small brake cable repair.

So I walked.

It wasn't a long walk. It's about a mile round trip.

But it was just what I needed. 

It got my blood flowing and my legs exercised.

It also gave me some as fresh as can expected on West Cameron Avenue air.

2. I had a lot of fun when I returned home flouring a package of party wings and frying them in butter. Simultaneously, I fixed a combination of Frank's Hot Sauce and butter in a sauce pan.

I also had a third thing going as I sliced and roasted Yukon gold potatoes and a white onion.

When the chicken was done frying, I dipped each piece in the hot sauce and butter and returned them to the frying pan with the heat on the lowest level.

Soon, the potatoes and onions finished roasting and Debbie and I sat on the patio and enjoyed Buffalo wings and roasted potatoes and onion pieces.

My pleasure in cooking and dining was augmented by drinking a couple cans of Nelson Brewing's Loki Lager. I squeezed fresh lemon juice into this lager and, for me, that made this delicious beer from British Columbia even more tasty! 

3. The ardent podcast producers over at slate.com have just released their 8th season of Slow Burn.  Season 8 is a four episode story entitled Becoming Clarence Thomas. Debbie and I listened to the first two episodes this evening. Reporter Joel Anderson traced Clarence Thomas' history back to his boyhood, to how and why he ended up being raised by his grandfather, and his experiences as a young man in Catholic schools and his somewhat brief exploration of possibly becoming a Roman Catholic priest. 

Once Thomas graduated from Holy Cross, he began his studies at Yale Law School and gradually put his days as a black power adherent and sometimes activist behind him and became increasingly well-known as a conservative Republican, notable because not many African-Americans shared this view of the world.  Missouri Attorney General John Danforth helped Thomas' career significantly when he hired Thomas right out of law school to work on his staff. 

So, these first two episodes help listeners gain perspective on how the young Clarence Thomas grew to embrace the principles of conservatism, especially the idea that persons should live as independently as possible from governmental aid or influence, and so it begins to become clear by the end of episode 2 why Clarence Thomas so adamantly opposes Affirmative Action and other governmental programs created to even the playing field, whether in college admissions or in the job market. 


No comments: