Wednesday, June 21, 2023

Three Beautiful Things 06-20-2023: Great Visit to City Limits, HelloFresh Chicken Dinner, Christy Drops By For Drinks

1. I was set to go for a bicycle ride when it started raining. I might have gone riding later, but Debbie wanted to make a trip up to City Limits and enjoy a beer or two together.

I was all in.

Debbie likes both City Limits' Loft Honey and Blood Orange IPA, so it was welcome surprise when we saw a beer called Wild Loft Honey on the tap list board -- the brewery, we learned, on occasion makes a Blood Orange Loft Honey. 

Debbie ordered a Wild Loft Honey and I ordered a tame Loft Honey and we fell into great conversation about all kinds of things, but especially our experience living in the Silver Valley and about Debbie's first year teaching at Pinehurst. 

We sat at the bar and, at one point, our bartender had some time to join in and tell us about how her son is doing really well at middle school and about her job during the school year at Head Start. We'd talked with her about these subjects the last time we went to City Limits and enjoyed this continuation of our earlier conversation. 

Debbie and I always enjoy it when we fall into conversation with young people when we're out for a beer. I've written how much fun we had falling into these sorts of conversations in Eugene, Greenbelt, and Washington, DC -- as well as on our dog friendly tour of breweries in the East and Midwest two summers ago -- and it was energizing to have another such conversation today

2. Back home, I fixed tonight's HelloFresh meal: Parmesan Chive Chicken & Potatoes with Mixed Greens and Honey Dijon Mustard. 

It was a straightforward undertaking -- well, aside from the fact that this recipe, like a few others, called for doing some food prep in a microwave. 

It's been nearly ten years since Debbie and I have had a microwave, but fortunately, I succeeded in preparing the chopped potatoes combined with a packet of garlic butter by boiling and draining them and then adding in the butter.

The chicken prep was easy and when I finished cooking the two cutlets, I combined a packet of cream sauce with a packet of Parmesan cheese and chopped chives and made a delicious sauce to pour over the chicken cutlets and the potatoes.

The other easy job was to dice a tomato and a cucumber, combine it with the packet of mixed greens, and dress this salad with Honey Dijon Dressing. 

It was a superb meal.

3. Christy popped over for a cocktail or two as we wrapped up dinner. Her interviews about the murders in our neighborhood, and the interviews with Paul, on KHQ and KREM had been on both stations and their websites and the KREM interview was posted on the CBS news website. 

We talked about other things, too, but now we know a bit more about how Christy's and Paul's  interviews with those Spokane stations came about. 

I was very impressed with how composed and thoughtful both Christy and Paul were in front of the camera as I watched them on my laptop.

I couldn't have done it. 

Had the reporters approached me, I would have very respectfully declined to be interviewed -- likewise, I wouldn't have talked to the Spokesman Review. 

I would not have declined out of distrust or disrespect.

I would have declined because I don't want to express my thoughts about this crime in any public forum. 


No comments: