Wednesday, June 7, 2023

Three Beautiful Things 06-06-2023: 20/20, Fun with Chickpeas, Luna Resists Tonight's Pill

 1. Christy walked out of the optometrist's exam room this morning, the day after her second cataract surgery, with good news: "Dr. Miller says my vision is 20/20."

2. I had a blast in the kitchen this evening. Tonight's HelloFresh meal was Crunchy Curried Chickpea Bowls with Cabbage and Golden Raisins.

I had a blast juggling the preparation of several parts of this meal at once.

Here's what this meal required:

- drizzling chickpeas with olive oil, seasoning them with curry powder, salt, and pepper, and roasting them in the oven

-- pickling a packet of cabbage in a saucepan on a burner using fresh squeezed lemon juice, sugar, and water

--submerging raisins in boiled water in a small bowl 

--chopping carrots into small cubes, putting these pieces in a pot with butter and curry powder, cooking this combination for a couple of minutes, and then adding basmati rice, a packet of vegetable stock, and a cup of water, bringing it to a boil, turning down the heat, letting the rice cook, and then adding more butter to it

-- cooking shredded kale in a puddle of olive oil -- I went beyond the recipe and used the rest of the chopped onion from our Skyline Chili dinner, sautéed it, and then added the kale

--whipping up a quick dressing that combined sour cream, lemon juice, curry powder, and water

When all these different parts of the dinner were ready, I took out two bowls, split the rice between them and topped the rice with the kale/onion, pickled cabbage, chickpeas, and raisins. Last of all, I dressed these bowls with the dressing I made.

The layers of flavor and textures made this bowl of food one of my favorites of all time. 

3. For the first time since I began giving Luna her thyroid medicine twice a day, she resisted the pill this evening. I hung in there with her and after about the eighth try, I managed to hide the pill in her wet food and I'm pretty sure she ate it. 

I'm leaving Copper and Luna in Paul and Carol's care for a few days starting this Sunday. To help them out in case Luna resists their pilling efforts, I'm taking the cats in this week for a nail trim. 

Luna didn't scratch or bite me when she resisted the pill, but she could have and having her nails trimmed will save Paul or Carol from getting scratched. 

No comments: