Tuesday, June 20, 2023

Three Beautiful Things 06-19-2023: An Introspective Day, Rain Shortens My Ride, Bagels and Bread from Beach Bum Bakery

 1. Four murders occurred in our neighborhood Sunday night. I've had a lot on my mind today. I've felt a lot of things. Aside from talking with Debbie, I wanted to be alone and have as little social interaction as possible. I'm private, with a few exceptions,  about what I'm thinking and feeling about these homicides.  For the most part, today, I didn't read comments online about these crimes; I stayed away from rumors or other potentially inflammatory comments. 

I pretty much stayed within myself.

2. Now that I have my bicycle in good operating condition and have a new bike rack so I don't have to ride on the Kellogg streets, I had, along with staying home, another good way to spend time by myself: I rode on the Trail of the CdAs. 

Today, I pedaled east instead of west, intending to ride as far as Big Creek, see how I felt, and possibly ride to Osburn. 

But, I wan't very smart about this ride. 

I didn't check the weather beforehand.

Sure enough, I arrived at the Elizabeth Park trail head and suddenly it rained. 

I got out my phone (and didn't leave it behind) and saw that the rain might continue for another hour or so.

I decided to pedal back to Kellogg and endure getting wet.

Luckily, the rain lightened up, and, even better, the ride into Kellogg is more of a downhill ride, making my return much faster and easier. 

3. Earlier today, I had asked Beach Bum Bakery to set aside six bagels for me. Once I got my bicycle loaded onto the Sube, I picked up the bagels and purchased a sourdough baguette.

Upon arriving home, I sliced a sesame bagel in half, toasted it, buttered it, and really enjoyed how much Beach Bum's bagels are, to me, like the bagels I love when I visit New York City. 

I'm also enthused about Beach Bum's devotion to selling organic baked goods and using purified water. 

It means their products cost more than at the store, but I'm happy to pay more for the pleasure their breads, bagels, doughnuts, scones, muffins, and coffee give me. 

Having slices from the baguette to accompany the superb pasta dish Debbie made tonight and just eating that one bagel after bicycling lifted my spirits on this solemn and introspective day. 


No comments: