Saturday, June 17, 2023

Three Beautiful Things 06-16-2023: Bike Rack for the Sube, Pizza and Golden Ale, Relaxin' at The Lounge

1. First of all, I just don't want to ride my bicycle on the streets of Kellogg. I'm not agile on my bicycle. Kellogg doesn't have (nor do I expect the city to have) dedicated bicycle lanes or bicycle streets. My attitude might change, but, for now, when I ride on the Trail of the Coeur d'Alenes, even though it's not far from our house, I transport my bicycle to the trail with the Sube. 

I don't like, however, how my bicycle fits in the back of the Sube. In fact, the other day, I popped a brake cable out of place while positioning my bicycle to pull it out of its tight spot in the back of the Sube. 

So, today, I went over to the bike shop. The brake cable was an easy repair and when the technician finished, I asked her about a rack for the back of the Sube.

She showed me one. I bought it.

The bike shop employees put it on the car for me. 

And now I don't have to wrestle my bicycle into and out of the Sube. 

I'm happy about that.

2. Around 4:00, I met Debbie at The Beanery and we shared a small pizza. We yakked with Becky, who was tonight's pizza cook, and with Sara, who (with her husband) owns The Beanery. Roger and Anna dropped by, too. Debbie and I also got in some solid yakking together.

My time at The Beanery was made even more pleasant by my beer selection. 

I ordered Kona Brewing's Big Wave Golden Ale, a type of Blonde Ale, and it was the perfect choice. 

Kona's Golden Ale weighs in at only 4.4% ABV, making it very sessionable. It's got just enough hoppy bitterness to make it interesting and just enough malt to give the beer a pleasant sweetness. 

I very much enjoy these slightly sweeter ales when I eat pizza. More complex beers like IPAs overwhelm my palate when paired with pizza, so I like to drink lagers, pilsners, or something in the Blonde Ale/Golden Ale/Cream Ale line of beers when eating pizza -- or most bar food. 

Tonight, the Golden Ale and our Hawaiian pizza worked beautifully together for me, as did having a relaxed hour and a half yakkin' with Debbie.

3. Next, I scooted up to The Lounge where Ed and I planned to meet and have a beer together. Ed got delayed a bit at the Elks Burger Night (no problem) and I yakked with Cas and also just enjoyed time to let my thoughts simmer over a Rainier beer.

Debbie had planned to go home after The Beanery -- we were in separate cars-- but changed her mind and popped into The Lounge. She sashayed over to where Simon and Jim Miller and Doug Yrjana were seated and fell into a great conversation about Kellogg's school district. 

Before long, Ed arrived and we had fun talking about fallen trees, replacing a hot water heater, and my time earlier in the week in British Columbia. 

I left soon after Ed did.

Back home, Debbie and listened to the third episode of the podcast Becoming Clarence Thomas and learned more about Thomas' governmental work in the 1980s, his dissatisfaction with much of this work, and about George H.W. Bush's decision to nominate him as a Supreme Court judge and the early phase of the confirmation hearings when, at first, it looked like Thomas would breeze through the confirmation process. 

No comments: