Tuesday, June 13, 2023

Three Beautiful Things 06-12-2023: Baker Street Recurs in My Dreams, Vietnamese Dinner, Craft Beer and Another Timothy McVeigh Podcast

1. Debbie, Patrick, Megan, and I piled into Patrick and Megan's car and wound our way down to Nelson's bustling Baker Street to hang out for a while. I came to Nelson about ten years ago with Christy and Carol. We had a fun time. Nothing outlandish happened that I remember. Nonetheless, I have recurrent dreams about Baker Street in Nelson. This dream isn't vivid. It's not detailed. I'm on Baker Street and it feels right. Today, while the others were doing other things, I dropped into the Kootenay Bakery Cafe for a scone and a small cup of coffee. Something was just right about this place and I can't nail it down. I feel good in there and the feeling I had today in the bakery was similar to the feeling my recurring dream gives me. 

That's all I got. No interpretation. No details. Just a good feeling.

2. We hiked up to Yum Son, a Vietnamese restaurant on Victoria Street. I enjoyed a Kaffir Lime Margarita to start and then a bowl of yellow curry over jasmine rice. It was a mild curry and I punched mine up a little bit with hoisin sauce. 

3. We walked back down to Baker Street and visited the Backroads Brewing Company. Debbie and shared a flight of pretty good beers and, once we finished, the combination of walking, eating dinner, and drinking some beer left us ready to head back up to our hillside rental home.

I retired to the room I'm sleeping in and continued listening to a lengthy, multi-episode season of the podcast A Murderous Design. This particular season details the investigation of the Oklahoma City bombing, profiles Timothy McVeigh, and also details McVeigh's trial. Because no one saw McVeigh in Oklahoma City that day, the prosecution had to meticulously build a circumstantial case and it's fascinating how the investigators and prosecutors worked together to piece together all kinds of details, ranging from the Ryder truck's axle to a telephone calling card found in Terry Nichol's house as well as a copious number of other pieces of evidence to build their case against McVeigh.  

No comments: