Thursday, June 29, 2023

Three Beautiful Things 06-28-2023: Recovery Continues, Lightroom and a Killer *Deadish*, Creamy and Lemony Spaghetti

 1. I read a bit more today about getting overheated. It can take as long as a week to recover. It's also good to lay off the alcohol. So I'll be patient and, although I haven't even wanted any alcohol since family dinner Monday, I'm not drinking any, even if I feel like I'd enjoy a beer or a cocktail. 

I had planned to get a haircut and make a Costco run today, but decided another day indoors would be wise. 

I think I was right.

2. I'm picking up the pace of my long slow effort to learn how to use Adobe Lightroom. I sequestered myself in my study and worked on it for a couple of hours and I listened to Jeff's June 22, 2023 Deadish show. Deadish runs from 9-11 on Thursday evenings -- and then is archived for two weeks -- on KEPW.org. The hour of programming that follows Deadish seems to be uncertain at the moment, so Jeff ran Deadish for 2 1/2 hours on June 22nd. I loved the bonus half hour. He'd already played, between 10:30 and 11 a riveting "Truckin'" that led into a jazzy, sort of avant-garde jam, featuring some arresting bass solo playing by Phil Lest, and ended with a rousing "The Other One". I was on cloud nine listening to this series of tunes and then, in the bonus half hour, Jeff played a cut from a show when the boys jammed for a half an hour on "Playin the Band".  It was blissful.

3. I had a blast in the kitchen, starting shortly after 5 o'clock. Tonight's HelloFresh meal was Lemony Spaghetti with Brussels Sprouts sprinkled with Toasted Panko & Scallions.

I have made this meal before and, once again, I found the use of Brussels sprouts innovative and delicious. It's not a big deal -- just new to me. I chopped the sprouts into small pieces and cooked them in oil until soft and added some chili flakes. Before preparing the sprouts, I browned the Panko in butter along with the chopped scallion whites and set them aside. Once the spaghetti was boiled and drained (I held out a cup of pasta water), I started making a sauce in the now empty spaghetti pot  by combining a packet of cheese roux concentrate with the pasta water and once it had thickened a bit, added cream cheese. Next I added the cooked spaghetti, the cooked Brussels sprouts, a packet of garlic herb butter, a packet of Parmesan cheese, scallion greens, and the juice of a small lemon. 

Once combined, I topped the creamy spaghetti with the browned Panko and white scallions and added a pinch or two more of chili flakes on top, too.

The result? An awesome bowl of food! 

No comments: