Tuesday, June 27, 2023

Three Beautiful Things 06-26-2023: *Deadish* and Writing Correspondence, Bagel Day at Beach Bum, Babes with Axes at Family Dinner

1. I mentioned a couple of days ago that I had been writing hard copy correspondence to friends of mine and since I was focused today on staying mostly indoors and continuing to cool off and rest after overdoing it on Sunday, I finished writing those cards and letters. While I wrote them, I listened to the first hour of Jeff Harrison's June 15, 2023 Deadish show. I loved getting back to listening to this program, especially because Jeff played selections from the Grateful Dead's June 15, 1976 show at the Beacon Theater in NYC which featured, among other things, a great "St. Stephen" and one of my favorite Grateful Dead songs, "Scarlet Begonias". 

I went online to look at the entire set list from that Beacon Theater show and it's a doozy. I look forward to listening to the entire show before long.

2. On Mondays, Beach Bum Bakery features bagels at their trailer. As a member the bakery's Beach Bum Club, I can text the bakery an order and pick it up later. This coming Saturday, Adrienne and family will be paying us a visit for a week, so I decided to stock up on bagels, freeze them, and have them ready for Sunday. If we need more on Monday, I'll just make another order and pick 'em up! 

3. Tonight Debbie took charge of family dinner. We had a full attendance with Christy, Carol, Paul, Brian, and Molly. Debbie made a wheat berry and kale salad and laid out other things like craisins, red onion, and olives to add to it and she made a killer tahini dressing (and offered a ranch dressing, too). It was a perfect summer dinner -- light, refreshing, and very tasty. 

Debbie found a recipe for a cocktail that I had fun making. It combined fresh squeezed orange and lime juices with dark rum. It also required me to make a brown sugar simple syrup and once the syrup came to a boil, I steeped mint leaves in the syrup for about ten minutes while it cooled. So the combination of rum, citrus juices, mint, and sugar made for a refreshing and delicious way to start our meal.

We talked about a lot of things as the evening progressed -- including our different families' experiences with government cheese.

This conversation inspired Debbie to call up TR Kelley's dynamite song, "Downwardly Mobile", on Bandcamp and we listened to Babes with Axes perform it. It's a killer arrangement. Debbie, Laura, Katie, and TR Babe-ified TR's song brilliantly and I had the added pleasure of experiencing a rush of memories of some of my favorite nights ever at WOW Hall, Sam Bond's, The Wild Duck, and other venues listening to Babes with Axes perform, especially when they reunited in 2014 and 2017. 

I teared up. 

No comments: