Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Still Life (Rehearsal): Sibling Assignment #33

InlandEmpireGirl assigned Silver Valley Girl and me a pretty open ended task. She told us to get out the cameras and present a still life with accompanying words. I've decided to try something unprecedented in the short history of Sibling Assignments. I'm going to present a rehearsal piece and I will present my "real" assignment later this week.

My rehearsal piece is a still life of a birdhouse in Silver Valley Girl's backyard. As a still life, the birdhouse's character derives from the sun and rain bleached wood, the cracks growing out from the rusty nail heads, and the welcoming "O" of this simple house.

Since still lifes are about perspective, I've decided to do something pretty simple. I'm presenting my original picture of the birdhouse and then variations on that picture, pieces I've created by using the Picassa "effects" function from the editing toolbox. For now, I'll let each image speak for itself and you can see what is gained or lost by applying each effect.


1. The original still life:




2. Black and white:



3. Saturation (I decided to desaturate the image).


4. Film Grain.


5. Filtered Black and White.


6. Focal Black and White.


7. Glow.


8. Graduated Tint.


9. Sepia


10. Sharpen.

11. Soft Focus.

12. Tint.


13. Warmify.

3 comments:

Shelby said...

Oh you did beautiful work! I like the focal black and white best I think... I love these!

take care and happy day! your comment about the horse manure on my academia experience yesterday made me laugh out loud by the way. I can only imagine it's tough on administration's end too .. especially if stuck between a rock and a hard place..

I like shaking things up a bit.. hopefelly it'll work out to my advantage - I still haven't worked it all out yet. I have to get a professor to approve me for his particular class.

Oh well, I'll write about it tomorrow or whenever it's settled.

bye for now..

Tongue in Cheek Antiques said...

Wow! I like glow the best.

Pinehurst in my Dreams said...

interesting shots. I wish they were arranged in a way that I could view them all at the same time. I kept scrolling up and down trying to compare them to the original. But my picture "memory" wasn't helping much.

I think I liked the Warmify one the best, as it made the bird house come "alive" with color. (And more of a focal point in my mind.)