Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Three Beautiful Things 03/12/13: Hugo Paper, 56 Up, Post-Vestry

1.  I occasionally add a bit more to my paper entitled "On Needing Richard Hugo" and it's up to twenty-five pages now and I decided I'd read it to any of my WR 115 students who wanted to hear it.  Four students in my first class stayed, but one of them worked on his own writing all through my reading and two students stuck around in the afternoon.  That was fine by me.  I honestly didn't want anyone in the room who didn't care to hear it.  I think the students who listened to the paper enjoyed it.  One found it beautiful and another said it helped him understand workers in a way he never had before.  I came home and told the Deke that I thought it was pretty good.  I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it.

2.  I went to the 4:00 showing of 56 Up at the Bijou and am I ever glad I did.  What made me most happy?  As these men and women spoke from the perspective of being in their mid-fifties, each one of them had grown more benevolent (in some cases even more benevolent) and I loved hearing one after another talk about that what really matter to them was family, children, grandchildren, and friends.  I was often moved to tears.  I've been following this series of documentaries for twenty-eight years.  These men and women have taken residence in my heart.

3.  I had a really good time meeting up at the Rogue Public House with the Senior Warden/Troxstar for a couple of beers after he was done running the vestry meeting.  It was a relaxing way to cap the day. 

No comments: