Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Three Beautiful Things 03/09/18: Arlington, Vietnam War Memorial, Hug of Gratitude

1. Ed and Mike and I lounged around the apartment (a.k.a. "The Lap of Luxury") for a while and then climbed back into the Camry and headed back to Union Station and hopped back on the Big Bus and transferred onto the Blue Route and hopped off at the Arlington National Cemetery and caught most of a changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. I couldn't see the ceremony very well, so I slipped into the amphitheater and took black and white light and shadow pictures of the columns there, but I haven't looked at them yet.  If they are presentable, I'll post later.  I want to return to the Arlington National Cemetery on my own on a clear day this spring and spend time at the Arlington House and walking around the grounds of the cemetery and take more time to enjoy the thrilling views of Washington, D. C. from on hight and from across the river.

2. We returned to Washington, D. C. and hopped off the Big Bus at the sobering, haunting Vietnam War Memorial and paid quiet tribute to the soldiers it memorializes.

3.  When we hopped back on the Big Bus, our tour guide for the next several blocks was Ellen. She gave way to Maria at some point, but Ellen remained on the bus and when we all got off the bus at Union Station, I thanked Ellen for her good work and she thanked me and we hugged, much to my surprise. It was a splendid way to end our two days of touring on the Big Bus.

No comments: