Friday, March 17, 2017

Three Beautiful Things 03/16/17: Getting Laundry Done, Reunion with The Truth, Welcome Back Mr. Dickel

1.  Today and yesterday those bone chilling winds that Mike, Ed, and I experienced in New York City were cutting through all of our coats, hats, gloves, pants, shoes, and socks here in Greenbelt. I stayed in. I gathered up the towels and sheets we used during the boys' visit and laundered them and cleaned up the bathroom. I'll vacuum tomorrow when Maggie is at the vet for her dental cleaning so that there will only be one corgi -- that is, Charly -- barking frantically while I get the carpets in our apartment home clean.

2. I anticipated that the Deke might want to go to Old Line after school and I was correct. I experienced that feeling of having a reunion with an old friend when I dove into my glass of Flying Dog's stupendous Imperial IPA, The Truth. It's almost always on Old Line's tap list, but I enjoy trying out new things, so it had been quite a while since I enjoyed The Truth and it was as close to perfect for me this evening as a beer possibly could be.

3. Back at the Red Owl Tavern in Philadelphia, I ordered a pour of George Dickel Rye Whisky. I have a history with George Dickel Tennessee Sour Mash Whisky that goes all the way back to 1983 in Spokane, Washington and extends forward to evenings with Rita in Eugene, evenings with the Deke and friends from OFAM in Eugene and some backyard summers on Madison, also in Eugene. To us, George Dickel was Mr. Dickel and as I left the Old Line store this evening, I decided to add to our history with Mr. Dickel and I bought a fifth of George Dickel Rye Whiskey and the Deke and I relaxed, sipped, and enjoyed a couple short pours of good old rye whiskey, neat, perfectly capping our night.

No comments: