Monday, March 20, 2017

Three Beautiful Things 03/19/17: NYC Theater, Trying to Get Curry Right, D. C. Pictures

1.  The Deke wanted to get things organized for school and so we stayed put today. She will go to work on Monday with a clearer mind it will give her a leg up when the next report cards are due in a week. I also stayed put and read Rebecca Mead's review essay, here, about David Byrne's  and Alex Timber's musical theater treatment of John of Arc entitled, Joan of Arc: Into the Fire, playing in at The Public in New York City. My interest in NYC theater was piqued this weekend when the Deke ordered us tickets to see Sunday in the Park with George and Sally Fields in The Glass Menagerie in April during her spring break.

2. I am working hard to make curry that is not too blistering hot and not meek and mild. It's all about the balance between the amount of paste I use and the coconut milk. Today, I made a sauce with 1 Tbs plus 2 Tsp of paste combined with one can of coconut milk and one can of coconut cream and some oyster sauce. I served this sauce over tofu, onion, eggplant, and red pepper, all diced, and white basmati rice. The Deke thought the curry was very good and, at the same time, wondered if I might figure out a way to make it about five degrees milder. Yes. I think I can do that by lowering the quantity of paste by one teaspoon -- maybe two.  By the way, this was a great improvement over the last two curries I made which were too hot to eat until I diluted it with more coconut milk and chicken broth. I'm still in search of the golden mean.

3.  On the vacation Ed and Mike and I enjoyed together, I found that I wanted to enjoy the sights and enjoy my friends' company without fiddling around much with my camera. So, I took few pictures. Today, I edited those few pictures I took, and here is a sampling of them.

We arrived at the ceremony of the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier a little late and I had no sight lines to take pictures of the ceremony. I retreated away from the tomb's gallery and loved taking pictures of the amphitheater at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and want to return on another sunny day and take more pictures of the light and shadows.

Amphitheater at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier

Amphitheater at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier

Mike at the Lincoln Memorial

Mike and Ed at the Jefferson Memorial 

Amphitheater at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier

Ed at the Lincoln Memorial 

Amphitheater at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier

Mike and Ed at the Lincoln Memorial 


No comments: