Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Three Beautiful Things 03/20/17: Splish Splashin' Away, Surprise Eggplant Chili, I Love Maryland Beers

1. Last week, Mike and Ed and I headed out for a car tour of D. C. and so I missed my water aerobics class. Today, though, I was back at it, splish splashing away, smiling broadly, enjoying my body in motion. I stuck around after class and added twenty minutes to the class workout running in the pool and doing the old 9th grade football agility drill. Any sluggishness I had felt from not being in the pool for a couple of weeks melted away.

2. So, I didn't feel like going to the store and I wondered if I could make something with the black beans and onion and eggplant and other things I had on hand. A quick search of Pinterest turned up, of all things, a chili recipe combining eggplant, carrots, celery, onion, black beans, canned tomatoes and lentils. I jazzed up the recipe a little with Worcestershire sauce, a few squirts of lemon juice, cumin, and oregano and went kind of light on the chili powder and red pepper flakes. The recipe is a vegan one, but I had beef broth in a box I wanted to use, so I did. This soup turned out, to me, to be a big surprise. The Deke put her chili in a bowl with sour cream and leftover basmati rice -- and I followed her example -- and it tasted really good. We were both glad I didn't make it too hot.  Would you like to look at this recipe? Just click here.  (I think there's more a person could do to improve this recipe -- for starters, I'd add cilantro, garlic, and poblano chile pepper and I'm sure others of you would love to add other kinds of chile pepper.)

3.  Before dinner at home, the Deke and I enjoyed a couple of beers at Old Line. I tried two local IPAs that were new to me, The Alpha Effect, a delicious brew from Baltimore's always reliable Heavy Seas Brewing and there's a brewery down the road in Upper Marlboro, MD called Calvert Brewing and I found out tonight, as I sipped on a snifter of their brand new limited release Mortal Double IPA, that they brew solid beer -- the Deke and I gotta get down there for a visit.

No comments: