Monday, May 6, 2013

Three Beautiful Things 04/05/13: Mining Town Talk, Laptopping Manhattan, Beers and BLTs at the Bier Stein

1.  In the course of messaging back and forth about her story in the Moment, Julie wrote me with suggestions about books and we messaged a bit about what each of us thought about growing up in mining towns/regions, she in the coal mining area of Cambria County, Pennsylvania and I in the hard metals Coeur d'Alene Mining District of North Idaho.  I look forward to the reading and more stories.

2.  I continued to read Mapping Manhattan with my laptop at my side, following Becky Cooper's stroll with her friend down Broadway, looking up images of the places she mentioned and getting a better picture in my mind of corners, landmarks, restaurants, bagel shops, and parks.  I also figured out that if were to walk from the Winco on Barger Drive in Eugene to Lane Community College, it would be about the same distance as walking from the top of Manhattan on 225th and Broadway (at the Broadway Bridge) to the bottom, Battery Park.  This is what Becky Cooper did as she handed out blank maps: she followed Broadway from the top to the bottom of the Manhattan island.

3.  The Deke had never been to the new Bier Stein and we went over and we loved it. Back around the turn of the century, we went to L and L all the time and we loved how that good old place has been transformed into a roomy, airy, sunny bottle house and pub.    The place was not quite half full at mid-afternoon, making it easy to talk.  We split a very tasty BLT and I loved the Full Sail LTD 5 Vienna Lager that Terry had recommended and I also enjoyed a Hofbrau Maibock.  The Deke and I headed home really happy. 

No comments: