Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Three Beautiful Things 04/30/13: Happiness Distinctions, First National Taphouse, Former Student Goes East

1.   Steven Reiss makes a distinction between feel good (or physical, sensation-based) happiness and value-based happiness, which comes from living in accordance with one's values.  I think the students who were in class today started to see this distinction and are ready to see the movie "Happy" through the perspective of this distinction.

2.  First National Taphouse opened last Friday and I gave it a whirl this afternoon.  I enjoyed the atmosphere, thought the beer selections were solid, drank two creams ales (one from Hales on the nitro and had one of my favorites, Kiwanda Cream Ale), and really liked the three Kobe shooters on brioche.  I can see myself stopping in for a beer regularly since it's just a block from the transit station and a nice place to relax and write after teaching.  The employees seemed earnest about their new business.  I hope it succeeds. 

3.  While I was writing at the First National Taphouse, a woman I didn't recognize asked if I was who she thought I was and I confirmed I was and Michelle Rau reminded me that she had been in a WR 122 section of mine three years ago and we had a good talk about the opportunity she was taking advantage of to move east and continue her metropolitan planning work in Baltimore.  It's always fun to find out how and where former students land on their feet. 

No comments: