Friday, May 24, 2013

Three Beautiful Things 05/23/13: Purpose in WR 115, Frank Vogel's Coaching Decision, 2003 Moneymaker WSOP Main Event

1.  I now know that fifteen out of the original eighteen students in WR 115 will likely complete the course.  I like knowing who is really a member of the class and who isn't.  These fifteen students have written some pretty solid work.  Today I tried to help them see that everything in the course has been tied together, that the way I organized and delivered the course has been coherent.  I hope they see that and carry the principles of thinking, self-examination, and composition forward beyond WR 115.

2.  The Pacer's head coach did not have shot blocker Roy Hibbert on the floor in the final couple of seconds of overtime with a one point lead.  LaBron James, with Paul George overplaying James' right hand, made a phenomenal move to his left, took one dribble, and scored on lay-in.  I've enjoyed reading the the discussions today as to why Hibbert wasn't in the game, whether he should have been, and what a monster move James made.  The deeper I read into this, the more I see that Frank Vogel had good reason to have the players on the floor he did.  It's fascinating.

3.  Grantland published an oral history of the 2003 WSOP Main Event, the one Chris Moneymaker won, the Main Event that triggered the poker boom over the last ten years.  I enjoyed the article thoroughly.  The different people's memories were interesting and the replays of key moments were very well placed.  I always love seeing Moneymaker's so-called "bluff of the century" on the second to the last hand. 

No comments: