Friday, May 31, 2013

Three Beautiful Things 05/30/13: Last Day of Instruction, No Harsh Words, Patiently Waiting for the Deke

1.  Even though WR 115 meets two more times, today was the last day of instruction.  From here on out, it's get writing done.  I laid out for my students the nine things I hoped they had learned about structure, development, reading, recognizing the abstract in relation to the concrete, formatting, and using research resources in the library.  I gave it a pretty good shot this quarter.  Whether it sticks is out of my control!

2.  I never spoke a harsh word in class this quarter.  I'm trying to think if I spoke a harsh word all year long in class.  Can't remember.  I was in a good mood every time we met and never once gave voice to any frustrations I might have had, mainly because I didn't really have any.  This approach worked and is working.  I'd like to think it helps my students see that I mean it when I tell them I'm on their side.  Yes, I had to deal with some thorny things, but I did so calmly and quietly.  I've always tried to be this way with my students and, this year, in my part-time work as a retired instructor, I found it easier because I was so much less fatigued. 

3.  It took the Deke longer than expected to arrive for our date at the Bier Stein.  No problem.  I ate a half a tuna salad sandwich on toasted sourdough bread with a cup of beer cheese soup.  Both were really good.  I very slowly drank and pint and a half of terrific Hofbrau Hefeweizen beer, my first Hefewizen from Germany.  The others I've drunk were Pacific Northwest and not one of those local Hefs is even as remotely interesting as the Hofbrau.  I'll keep drinking the local ones.  I like them.  But, wow, I really liked the taste kick this German one has -- and without a high alcohol content.  I enjoyed this time alone at the bar, taking in the spacious environment, yakking a little bit with the those working the bar, and having time to reflect on stuff. 

No comments: