Saturday, May 25, 2013

Three Beautiful Things 05/24/13: Getting Biscuits Ready, Pils and Margherita Pizza, Ukes and the NBA

1.  I had a great time working alongside Kathryn in the St. Mary's kitchen getting the dough ready for biscuits to be served at the free Saturday breakfast for tomorrow morning.  While we measured flour, cut margarine (Kathryn badly wanted it to be butter, but budget constraints), prepared yeast, mixed dough, and formed it into large rectangles to be cut into biscuits tomorrow, we had great conversations about everything from the Holy Spirit to chewing tobacco to the riddling frustrations of mental health challenges. 

2.  The day just kept being really good.  I went across the street from the church to La Perla Pizzeria and picked up an eight inch, red, white, and green Margherita pizza to go and took it over to Sixteen Tons so I could debrief with Jesse about Miami's spectacular overtime win over the Pacers and begin our preview of tonight's game. I enjoyed a refreshing couple of pints of The Commons Pils with my pizza.

3.  The day just kept being really good.  The Deke led a group of her fourth graders playing ukeleles in a short performance at Cozmic Pizza.  I enjoyed it thoroughly.  I packed a milk crate of ukes back to the car for the Deke and drove eagerly to Billy Mac's to watch Game 2 of the Heat/ Pacers' series and treated myself to a pink and juicy prime rib dinner.  Later on the Deke arrived and we watched the stunning exchange of baskets, the cheap shot elbow Dwyane Wade landed in open court on Lance Stephenson's head, and the great Pacer defensive stands in the last minute, both punctuated by LeBron James turnovers, both passes that David West tipped.  It was a scintillating game in what is developing into a dramatic series.  I enjoy both teams so much that I really don't care who wins. 

No comments: