Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Three Beautiful Things 05/21/13: Getting Rose's Point, Resilient, Superb Soup and Whiskey and Beer

1.  I think maybe my students are beginning to see Mike Rose's point that the intelligence required to do blue collar and service work is often underestimated and what the consequences of this belittling of such work is, especially for those who do it.  I don't know, yet, what they think of his point, but I think they are getting it. 

2.   I don't know what problems external to school have beset one of my students, but we sat down today to work out how she can get caught up and finish the course.  I admire students like her.  She never asked for any special treatment, let me know things had temporarily gone to hell, and we worked on how she can make up for missing class and assigned work.  I have every confidence she'll finish, but, if not, we have a contingency plan in place.  I hope the difficulties don't swoop in on her again.

3.  Wow.  That Florentine tomato soup at Billy Mac's was superb.  So was the Jameson.  At home, so was the Full Sail LTD Vienna Lager.  I wish the Vienna Lager wasn't a limited release.  I want it to be unlimited.  For what I want in a beer, it's nearly perfect. 

No comments: