Sunday, May 5, 2013

Three Beautiful Things 05/04/13: Community College Moment, Olive and Lorraine, Golf Thoughts

1.  Julie Fether posted the just released issue of the Community College Moment and so I got to look through it.  I loved Julie's story about the death of her beloved grandfather, her Dzedo, and his Paska and Nut Roll.  (I loved this piece on its own terms for sure; in addition, it followed the story/recipe structure my sister Christy loves to use and I enjoyed that, too.)  I loved reading  Mary McGrail's experiences and thoughts that rose out of her teaching at a for profit institution of higher learning in Long Island City. I look forward to reading more of this issue when I have it in my hands in hard copy.

I had a shock looking over this issue.  The Moment published a tribute to me, given by Dennis Gilbert at my retirement party.  I enjoyed reading it again, not only because it took me back to that fun afternoon at Billy Mac's, but because I'm grateful for what Dennis understood about me. I continue to will myself to believe what he wrote about me might be true.  I also re-read my submission to the Moment with some wonder.  I had forgotten that I expanded this piece and I had the almost bewildering experience of reading my own writing as if I'd never written it, as if I were reading it for the first time.  What's more:  I liked it! 

2.  We should try to get together more often.  We used to play a lot of golf together until I became embarrassed by the lousiness of my game.  I've taken a long hiatus.  But there was Paul F. at Market of Choice and we had a great catch up conversation in the produce department and he got me thinking that maybe I should strike some golf balls again and see if maybe I can hit a five wood or something so I can figure out a way to get off the tee. Maybe a five iron.  I don't know.  Maybe play from the very shortest tees.   I got really tired the several last times I played of slowing down play, making my golf mates have to wait so long to take their shots, and feeling crappy about my game.   The lousy habits I have when I swing a golf club just do not go away.  Yes.  I've taken lessons.

3.  Russell and I went to the Saturday Market on our photo stroll and I was mildly frustrated by how claustrophobic I felt.  But my frustration melted away when we discovered Olive (she did sound effects for the fall Shakespeare Showcase) playing the accordion and singing and I began taking pictures of her and her accordian, Lorraine.  I remembered what a delightful person she is and how much I enjoyed taking pictures of her in the fall at dress rehearsal and I really enjoyed taking pictures of her this afternoon...and of her accordion.  Here are a couple I haven't posted anywhere else.







 

No comments: